Design Engineer - Test Systems
We usually respond within two weeks
Main purpose of the role:
To create innovative design solutions for powertrain test systems that enable validation for full product to single component, to agreed functional specifications, costs, and lead time.
- Work with Development, Test & Test System Teams to identify validation requirements for definition of appropriate test rig solutions, and produce conceptual designs, either from blank sheet or through development of current systems, whilst maintaining project costs and timing.
- Test tig solutions will cover performance, environment, and durability of Unit Under Test (UUT’s), including complete EDU’s, MGU’s, MCU’s & or their constituent components.
- Generate costs and timing plans for new and developed test equipment in order to evaluate project feasibility.
- Create models and drawings that can be used to manufacture and build components/systems.
- Assist in checking drawings to include approval of designs for release for manufacture, to Helix design standards.
- Looking ahead for current and future requirements to utilise state-of-the-art technologies across the test function to improve accuracy and system reliability.
- Oversee the assembly phase of a project ensuring that new items of equipment are assembled correctly and finished to the highest standard.
- Support the Test Systems Engineers in the commissioning of new test systems that have been designed/manufactured in-house or purchased externally.
- Ensure safe test system solutions are implemented, through robust design to the commissioning stage, carrying out risk assessments and other safety procedures as necessary.
- To support urgent issue resolution that arise with test systems as necessary.
- Continuous Improvement activities to look at pre and post-test functions to streamline setup and analysis activities to ensure robust and accurate data is generated and reported.
- Document new solution proposals (functional specifications).
- Provide Engineering input to support the maintenance of test equipment employed within the company.
- Any other tasks that are reasonably assigned to you by your line manager or the Test Systems Team Leader, including development activities, which are within your capability and grade.
Required Education and Industry Experience:
- BEng in automotive / mechanical/ aerospace or BSc in an Engineering discipline.
- Design capability via a 3D parametric system.
- Knowledge of materials and their properties and their use in engineering design and analysis.
- Good knowledge and experience with mechanical, pneumatical and hydraulic equipment.
- Ability to define test system solutions, with a high level of competence in on one or more of the following areas, and knowledge of all:
- Mechanical design – motor dynamometer structures, air and cooling supply.
- Electrical Design – Power and control layout understanding.
- Measurement & Control Instrumentation – appreciation of different methods and importance of safety.
- Knowledge of best practice for electrical earthing for both safety and noise (EMI) immunity.
- Experience with clean and dirty power & earth systems.
- Ability to deliver high quality work without supervision.
- Exhibit good planning and organisational skills.
- Clear communication skills & good punctuality and time management skills.
- Proven experience in a similar role.
Desirable Education and Industry Experience:
- MEng / MSc Degree.
- CATIA V5/V6..
- FEA knowledge – creating models and interpreting results.
- Knowledge and experience with Low voltage DC switching systems up to 1500VDC & DC Power Supplies.
- Creepage & clearance to - BS EN IEC 60664-1:2020.
- Full UK driving license and willing to travel between sites.
- Flexibility in working hours
As an employee of Helix, you will receive a competitive salary, ongoing personal development, training opportunities and a generous benefits package including pension, car & cycle salary sacrifice schemes, group life assurance, private medical insurance, eye care vouchers, dental, gym membership and Income protection insurance.
Direct applications only. No unsolicited Recruitment Agent submissions will be accepted. Any unsolicited CVs received will be treated as the property of Helix.
- Test & Test Systems
- Shenley Technical Centre
Helix is embarking on a 7-year strategy with significant investment & growth planned. To find out more please visit Helix
Design Engineer - Test Systems
Loading application form
Already working at Helix?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.